Monday, November 5, 2007

He's Just Not That Into You

Commiserating over Cosmopolitans with my friend Jane at Melange one night last week, I asked, “how are things going with Sushi Guy?”

“Sushi Guy” is the nickname assigned to Jane’s recent Match.com prospect, because they went to Miki on their first outing. “Well, on the first date it took me a while to warm up to him,” Jane responded. “But then, on the second date at Good Night Gracie I decided I really quite liked him, despite our obvious differences.”

“So…” I prompted. “So then after the second date we played phone tag for a few days. And then he sent me an email,” she continued, “he had decided to get back together with an old girlfriend!”

I had warned Jane that Lewis (his real name) was probably not right for her, that she was barking up the wrong tree. Aside from the obvious cultural differences, to my knowledge he has never been the type to settle with one girl. Never married, no (acknowledged) children, he's much too comfortable in his bachelor life. And really nothing in common with Jane, except perhaps a love of raw fish and live music.

But you see, if a guy’s willing to date realistically proportioned/aged women, can spell “articulate,” and says he likes Guster (qualifications that are challenging to fill in a single man in a 50-mile-radius of Ann Arbor), Jane won’t hesitate to get all dolled up and drop some serious cash on a dinner date downtown. Only to find afterwards that he doesn’t call, doesn’t email, nothing. In fact, I suppose she should count herself lucky that Sushi Guy even bothered to let her know he was seeing someone else. Better than bumping into them at Gratzi one Friday night.

If you ask me, Jane’s problem is that she’s overly optimistic. But I suppose that’s her nature.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Well... I guess all I can say is at least she went on dates. I tried Match and all the others and couldn't even get 95% of the women I emailed to respond. Actually, maybe that was better than spending money on useless dates, but it was quite frustrating.

What can I say, dating (Internet or otherwise) sucks hard...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...maybe Dave and Jane need to hook up...there may be some common interests...

Dave said...

Well, I have a girlfriend currently. I met her the old-fashioned, tried-and-true way: at work.

Mandy Kay said...

Just as well - I think Jane is planning to become a budhist nun...

Anonymous said...

i gotta say it: your commentary seems: mean spirited, negative, hopeless, arrogant..... need i add more? this is something you should have shared exclusively w/ your friend. not w/ your blogspot. how tactless. i thank my lucky stars that you are not my friend......

Mandy Kay said...

My first negative feedback from the world renowned, oft-quoted "Anonymous"! Now I feel like a real blogger!

Unknown said...

youre just being too obscure. there are probably only about 20 people who would get that Lewis is the cat at Downtown Home and Garden and that Jane is the dog from Peaceable Kingdom. and none of them read blogs.

Dave said...

I would guess it's fewer than 20. :)