Friday, June 29, 2007

A2 Questionnaire: Heather O'Neal


(Same 6 Questions, Different Victim)

Heather O'Neal, Owner, Of Global Interest and Eighth Street Trekkers' Lodge

Heather, what’s your favorite dish to cook?
I was never much of a cook until February this year when I purchased a new vegetarian cookbook by Roz Denny published in the UK. It has great big photos and easy 1-2-3 steps with photos to match so you get an instant idea of how things should look. I am now ready to open a restaurant on my front porch! I like making anything in that book because they all turn out relatively perfect.. Perhaps I got the most praise with the zucchini, red onion, sun dried tomato and goat cheese pizza.

It’s Friday night and you’re exhausted – what do you do for dinner?
In my former life I would have made popcorn for dinner. Nowadays I'll try something in the new cookbook. And these days there are interesting leftovers in the fridge. Currently we have last night's dinner -- enough vegetarian paella to feed a small army.

It’s Saturday night and you’re ready to go out and have a great time – what do you do?
Usually on Saturday nights I am home working at my desk or cleaning the house. Sometimes a friend will call, and we'll head out on the town. A typical Saturday night might include walking downtown for a drink and a snack at one of Ann Arbor's great restaurants or bars. After that we might end up in my living room chatting into the night. If we are lucky a guest at the Trekkers' Lodge B&B will join us for conversation.

What’s your favorite restaurant (besides Zingerman’s!) to take out-of-town guests?
I often recommend the brew pubs like Arbor Brewing Company, Grizzly Peak and Leopold's to guests who are visiting from out of town. Seva is a favorite because it's vegetarian. BeBimBop at Kosmo Lunch Counter at Kerrytown is a great alternative to long lines at other places nearby.. And I always bring guests to play the bells in the tower at Kerrytown which is open every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at noon.

What do you love about Ann Arbor that you think is unique among other cities?
What I most love about Ann Arbor is that I can walk and ride my bike all over town. Ann Arbor has a free spirit like me which allows me to do whatever I want.. Probably the best part about Ann Arbor is the Huron River and all the really cool and wonderful parks and woods, trails and bike paths along the river banks. I love all the festivals and street parties, the restaurants, the trees, the Michigan Theater -- and the people of course.

Last question – if you were to write a Blues song about living in Ann Arbor, what would the title be?
I travel a lot and might need to write a blues song about returning to Ann Arbor after a trip around the world... I'd call my song, "Going Home".

No comments: