Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Taste of Ann Arbor


Mandy Kay: So, let's talk about the "Taste of Ann Arbor" last Sunday.
Pepper Votaw: I think it's an excellent addition to the Dexter/Ann Arbor Run, and a great format for families enjoying a day downtown. But I think the economy effected the number of restaurants participating, and I'm not sure how they are picked to be in it.
Mandy Kay: Do you think it exposed people to food they normally wouldn't experience?
Pepper Votaw: Not this time...if I were a chef, I would want to highlight my signature dishes, and also showcase some cutting edge stuff. I also think participants did a poor job of cross-marketing the street food with their existing menus and upcoming promos. You know, ways to get a "bounce” – coupon or giveaway or something– to get people to go to the actual restaurant.
Mandy Kay: The Earle did give out those coupons for $20 off a bill at their Uptown locale. So that would be about a 10% discount. Yikes. What about the food in general?
Pepper Votaw: I thought it was pretty middle- of-the-road this time. There weren’t as many ethnic booths, and not much that would spur me to go to a place I'd never been to before.
Mandy Kay: We've got what, 50 Chinese restaurants in A2? but I didn’t see any. Nor any Japanese. Or Korean?
Pepper Votaw: No Thai, no BBQ, or Italian. Nor anything from the "buy local" bunch...
Mandy Kay: Props to Blue Nile, though, for giving it a try. They were very popular. And Amadeus. LOVED their smoked salmon mousse.
Pepper Votaw: You're right...they were distinctive, and it showed.
Mandy Kay: What else did you like?
Pepper Votaw: I liked the Indian booth, and the lemonade.
Mandy Kay: Yes, I think Shalimar did a good job. I brought home samosas since I bought too many tickets. Had them for lunch today. Mmmm, love their chutneys. I also thought Mediterrano did a fab job with the lamb chops. Double mmmmm, they were tender and wonderfully seasoned, and nicely presented on couscous! I’ll get them next time I go to the restaurant – which is exactly the effect that should be produced! As opposed to the bourbon steak bites from Rush Street. Tough. Sinewy. Uggh.
Pepper Votaw: And I liked sitting on the curb watching people and listening to the big band music.
Mandy Kay: Did you see the pictures of the Morris dancers in the paper? Scooped by the Ann Arbor News. How demoralizing... Do you know anything about the history of “Taste” events in general? Invented in Chicago?
Pepper Votaw: We've been to Taste of Chicago…completely overwhelming. Always about 95 degrees, and elbow-to-elbow with people who haven't been friendly with their Shower to Shower powder. The last year we were there chocolate dipped strawberries were introduced.
Mandy Kay: Ooooh, not unlike being at Canaveral when the first rocket launched, food-world-wise, that is...

Pepper Votaw: We’ve also been to Indianapolis, where the “Taste” is part of the 500 Festival. It’s always organized around a theme, and restaurants are judged by their execution of the theme. Really fun, and competitive for creativity and food wit.
Mandy Kay: “Creativity and food-wit” - THAT's what's missing!
Pepper Votaw: Indeed...food wit!
Mandy Kay: Some of our restaurant owners are lacking in that department… I felt sorry for the handsome young man working the Café Felix booth, with no signage for the food, and everything covered up by the chafing dish lids. NOT well planned by his boss. I wonder if Felix scored well in the judging?
Pepper Votaw: Who won, and on what criteria?
Mandy Kay: I have no idea. But there was an Elvis award. Ya gotta love that. What restaurant should receive our most illustrious “Shout Out”? And who should get the “What Were They Thinking?” designation?
Pepper Votaw: How about a “Shout Out” to Shalimar, for taking the time and effort to showcase their food and the interesting sauces. And honorable mentions to Amadeus and Café du Jour, two small places out there competing admirably with the big boys. And the "What Were They Thinking?" to Café Felix for putting that lovely young man out front with no printed menu...naked to the public save for his sterling flair with hot plate lids.
Mandy Kay: I bet those lids were hot.

No comments: