Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Brou "Hearts" Ann Arbor 107.1 fm

I had become a radio snob. Even though I grew up loving stations like CKLW and Tower 98 in Monroe, and was a dj on my high school station (WEJY), I had stopped listening to commercial radio stations entirely.

But then last December, almost by accident, I discovered Ann Arbor 107.1 fm. And somehow, like the planets aligning, that perfect synchronicity was achieved. I am convinced that somehow, someway, the programmers have tapped into my own, almost exact, taste in music. Maybe it’s a secret ray gun that triangulates between my brain, my iTunes account, and the radio station – I don’t know, but whatever it is, it’s dead on.

My love of 107.1 thus expressed, I stumbled upon their tent party at Top of the Park. You could register to “win” an invitation on their website, but I had not been lucky. I tried to bluff my way past young Ryan, their promotion manager below with the clipboard – but he was unmoved. Supporting TOP is just one of the ways the station underscores its commitment to being “Ann Arbor’s radio station.” They also recently hosted a fundraiser for C. S. Mott’s Children’s Hospital when the U of M football team “took over” the station, and helped raise over $100,000.

Matt Wertz was performing on the TOP stage, and he’s a great example of the kind of music I’m digging on the station. Brandi Carlisle, Ben Harper, Paolo Nuntni, Plain White Ts, Death Cab for Cutie – all kinds of artists I just love. They also do an on-air showcase of local musicians called “Studio A2.” The Ragbirds were on the other day, and sounded great! (You know, 107.1 may not have a secret ray gun pointed at my head, but I guarantee you they’ve got some kind of tap on the Siglins and the gang over at the Ark.)

107.1 keeps the chatter to a minimum, and what there is is often provided by the fabu Martin Bandyke on the morning shift, surely the first ever umbrella-toting-Vespa-driving attendee at TOP. Bandyke’s exit from WDET, and its focus in programming to more news, was a sorry day in the life of public radio in southeastern Michigan. We spent quite a bit of time chatting with Martin at TOP, since he was gracious enough to stand outside the party tent and mingle with the plebs who didn’t make it past face control. Very personable, and seems happy to have found a welcoming audience here in Ann Arbor.

I’d say 107.1’s only weak spot is that they could use a sharp, strong female on-air personality. And the commericials? Well, half the time I’m giggling as I listen because the station produces these funny testimonials by its advertisers. Craig Warburton from Austin & Warburton jewelers mixed and mashed into some kind of crazy beat-box thing, or the Merkels from GCO sounding like the Magliozzi brothers from Car Talk – commercials are fun when they’re people you know!

And I’ve found that commercial radio is still fun, when the station is a living, breathing part of the community and plays the music you love.

No comments: