Friday, August 24, 2007

August is NOT Dull

You would think that things would quiet down a bit here in the offices of The Brou, as summer winds down and the heat index hits 1 million degrees. But NO!

Thursday found us plowing through registration at Pioneer High School with The Button and about 800 other perspiring, bewildered freshman and their parents. "Mom, you're sweating. That's gross," my beloved daughter observed.

That ordeal behind us, I took my third shower of the day and headed to Vinology for a Chamber of Commerce mixer. Hosted in the basement in the blissfully cool "Bubble Room," enjoyed an hour's worth of conversation, snackies, and wine. "Did you see the person laying on the floor?" asked my friend Connie. "No. What? is it art?" said I, thinking perhaps there was a bit of performance art taking place. "No. Seriously. Someone collapsed." As Connie relayed this, the membership director of the Chamber glided past us in the opposite direction of said collapse, seemingly unconcerned. No EMTs materialized - I've always suspected a cold glass of white wine and a bite of a lovely hors d'oeuvres have remarkable powers to revive.

After an hour at the mixer, I made my way over to Kerrytown and Trunk-a-palooza. Despite the heat, there was a nice crowd. Thad Cockrell, a singer from Nashville, performed and the barbeque and beer taps were fired up. I popped into Everyday Wines to buy a cold bottle and six pack to take to a friend's. "The Trunk people have almost cleaned me out of cold stuff," said owner Mary Campbell as she handed me her last chilled six pack of Arbor Brewing Amber and a nice Italian white. I also noted on the clipboard for classes at Everyday Cook that all the remaining August sessions are sold out - so if you're interested in a class in September, it would be wise to register early.

No comments: