Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beware! Pepper & Mandy on Bikes!

With both our daughters at band camp, Pepper and I had the chance for a “moms’ night out.” Originally planning to sneak out to see “Knocked Up,” (I didn’t want The Button to know I’ve a taste for such low-brow humor), the gorgeoulicious weather called for a change in strategy.

“Let’s ride our bikes to campus, have a drink and a snacky, and then ride downtown for round two,” I suggested to Pepper. “That’s a most excellent idea!” she replied. I rode over to Pepper’s, and after a few minutes wagging my finger at her because she didn’t want to wear her helmet, we were off.

I’m sure anyone who rides a bike in Ann Arbor knows that campus and downtown are on high ground. I haven’t found a way to avoid the hill going into campus entirely yet, and as we were chugging up Oakland Street Pepper called to me sympathetically, “you know, we can get off and walk if you want.” But I made it up to Hill Street (whoa, maybe that’s the reason for the name!), and THEN we walked our bikes to the best reward for the effort – a quart of sangria at Dominick’s.

Pepper had never been to Dominick’s. Yes, you read that correctly. Settled at table on the back patio, “Pesshtu brd fri man dee. Pessshtu rd,” was announced over the loudspeaker, so I fetched the Pesto Bread we’d ordered. “You can actually understand what they’re saying?” Pepper asked. I explained that the language of Dominick’s takes years, and many mason jars of cheap alcohol, to master.

Pepper announced “I need something to eat besides this bread,” somewhat alarmed in the manner that results from a large glass of sangria on an empty stomach. So back on the bikes, and over to Main Street. Downtown, and particularly the sidewalk tables, was hopping as we wandered down to Vinology.

Have YOU been to Vinology yet?

“Mandy, is this place going to make it?” Pepper wondered as we were seated outdoors. And truly, Vinology is a puzzle. Of the quartet of restaurants that all seemed to open about the same time, targeting an apparently similar demo – Melange, Rush Street, and The Metro are the others – Vinology simply isn’t as busy as it should be. I have to tell you, I love the place. I’m there with clients at least every other week for lunch. They do a sandwich and soup/salad combo that runs only $8, and is beautifully presented. And occasionally when I’m by myself I’ll pop in for a lovely dinner and glass of wine at the bar. I recently had a duck breast, braised in some sort of molasses sauce served with barley risotto, that was easily as good or better than The Earle’s at about $3 less for the entrée.

Pepper and I had lightly fried calamari with green papaya slaw, roasted chick peas, and ricotta gnocchi, all from the appetizer menu. I’m an ardent fan of the gnocchi – they sauté it with big slices of garlic and asparagus, then toss with toasted hazelnuts and beautiful shavings of parmesan. Mmm! And Pepper had a pomegranate martini, and I ordered a glass of a Soave that was just about perfect.

Appetites, thirst, and hunger for people-watching sated, we hopped back on our bikes and coasted down Packard toward home. “Don’t you hear that ‘do di doo di doo doo, do di doo di doo doo” music from ‘The Wizard of Oz’ in your head when you’re riding like this?” Pepper called out. That’s us–two witches pedaling around on a balmy, Ann Arbor night.

No comments: