Saturday, September 8, 2007

Game Day

Riding my bike home from Farmers' Market this morning, I stumbled on the Michigan Marching Band's drumline making it's way up Division to Elbel Field. So I detoured to watch rehearsal (video clip) for a bit, despite urgent voicemail messages from The Button and her overnight guest ("Mom, did you get the donuts?").

It's amazing - the strains of "Temptation" still give me goosebumps. And the ignominy of last weekend's loss fades in the bright sunshine of a beautiful fall morning in Ann Arbor.

Returning home (donuts a little smooshed in my backpack, but otherwise none the worse for the wear) I saw my neighbor Howard and told him about enjoying the band. You may recall that Howard is a retired police officer who has been working U of M football games for over 50 years. "Not many people know this," he told me, "but Dr. Revelli developed the script Ohio for a game here in Ann Arbor. And then he gave it to OSU to use."

That's the University of Michigan - not only a heritage of excellence, but of good sportsmanship, too. And I'm sure the football team will remind us all of that today.

Go Blue!

No comments: