Thursday, September 6, 2007

Readers Respond to THE LOSS

Readers of The Brou are cast across the U.S., many of them alumni and fans of the University of Michigan. As we in Ann Arbor prepare for this weekend’s game against the Ducks of Oregon, I asked out-of-town friends for their reactions to last Saturday’s loss to Appalachian State University. Some responses….


"Embarrassment and curiosity…Embarrassed that they lost, at home, to a Div. 1-AA school, have now lost 3 in a row, and have embarrassed the entire Big 10. I’m catching flack from my friends out here big time. Curious as to why they scheduled App State, how bad is the defense, and how loud are the calls for Lloyd Carr’s head?" Joe, California

"I would summarize the whole thing as utterly demoralizing. I was very thankful that my Michigan State officemate had to go to a funeral. I never would have heard the end of it any other way!" Melissa, Maryland

"Everyone loves an underdog story, including the New York Times. If the uberdog, Michigan had won, the “Times” would have devoted at most a paragraph to the game. But when it turned into David beats Goliath, there was a full article on Sunday and then three, yes three, articles on Monday, including a front pager (below the fold mercifully). A lot of ink was devoted to a change in Lloyd Carr’s contract which would allow him to step down after this season as head coach, but remain in some other capacity. Another key conclusion–which might offer small comfort to the Wolverine faithful – was that the Division I schools in the Southeast won’t play ASU, because they are known to be so competitive. So maybe it wasn’t quite the upset of the century that it appeared to be, but more of a sucker bet that cost Michigan 400 grand and the “distinction” of being the first ranked Division I team to lose to Division IAA, or whatever it’s called now." Tony, New Jersey

"The whole thing is just cringe-worthy on all fronts!" Dan, Illinois

"I'm so embarrassed! For years I have defended and bragged about the football team from Michigan. I was there a few years ago when we lost to the Washington Huskies here in Seattle. We went to a Rose Bowl party this year and I had to endure relentless jabs from my friends and relatives. But now, oh my! They will never let me forget this one. The worst fallout has come to my 14 year old son, a loyal Michigan fan. The kid next door just won't let it go, I can't wait 'til he hears that Michigan has dropped from the ranks, you know how obnoxious teenage boys can be. Hoping for some kind of redemption..." Janet, Washington

"Life as a grown-up gets in the way of watching every game, and I tend to ignore the ones I consider glorified scrimmages, expecting to come home later and watch the recap on ESPN depicting the Blue second string decimating the opponent. Boy, was I shocked this past Saturday! BUT C'MON, FANS! So the Blue didn't bring their A-game because they didn't think their opponent was worthy–what of it? This is not an unprecedented situation in sports. And it's not like ASU killed us. The point now is to GET OVER IT AND WIN EVERY REMAINING GAME. Perhaps this loss was just the humiliating jolt necessary to do just that. Don't throw away a whole season because of one bad (okay, REALLY bad) game!" Lynnette, Illinois

Mandy’s Last Word:
Okay, these aren’t exactly my last words, but I have to say my feelings about Saturday’s loss are reflected in the comments of my neighbor. Howard Zeck is a retired Ann Arbor police officer and has been working at football games for over 50 years. Yes, you read that correctly – over 50 years! Howard told me “you know, at least it wasn’t Ohio. And in all my years on the sidelines, I’ve never seen a group of kids so happy. If you could have seen those players from ASU and how excited they were!” So I'll try to keep it in perspective this weekend – they’re kids. Playing a game.

By the way, if you’re interested in checking out what ASU fans are saying in the blogosphere, check out Popcorn Dreams. And of course, if you’d like to continue to self-flagellate, go to MgoBlog.com

No comments: