Sunday, September 9, 2007

Kerrytown BookFest

What a beautiful afternoon for the 5th Annual Kerrytown BookFest!

Dozens of booksellers, bookcrafters, and authors exhibited in the market place at Kerrytown. Like illustrator Leslie Evans, whose sister lives in Ann Arbor. She traveled here from Boston to host a booth for her Sea Dog Press. And in addition to the obviously book-oriented exhibitors, some of the regulars from the weekly Sunday Artisans’ Market also participated. Heather O’Neal, friend of The Brou, set up a table for her Of Global Interest business. And Heather and Anna, (friend of The Button) told a Nepalese folktale in the Children’s Tent. It was hopping with all sorts of paper-oriented activities for kids as well, including volunteer Melanie very patiently teaching origami.

“It’s a popup book I made with pictures of where I used to live,” Diane told me, after I admired the handmade book she and her friend Carol were looking at as they took a break. They were at the BookFest to take part in the Engineering Paper 101 class at Hollander’s.

“’Ann Arbor?’... ‘Michigan’s largest adult daycare center.’” That’s author Charles Baxter quoting a friend in “Hybrid City.” It's his essay in "Ann Arbor (W)rites," a collection of Ann Arbor-based stories that Ira Lax was giving out for free at the Ann Arbor District Library table. (Say Ira’s name fast. When I asked him about it, he assured me “I’ve heard ‘em all.”)

The Main Tent hosted several panel discussions by local writers, including “Novelizing History” with authors Karen Harper, Robert Alexander, Travis Holland, and Elizabeth Kostova. Moderator Robin Agnew, owner of Aunt Agatha’s, asked the panel if sometimes they don’t get “swallowed by the research” aspect of writing historical fiction. “Research is more like an addiction to chocolate or coffee,” observed Kostova. And Holland pointed out that the great thing about research is that “I could tell myself I was working, when I wasn’t actually writing anything!” Agnew asked Kostova how she came up with the Dracula theme for her bestseller “The Historian” – view the video clip of her answer.

No comments: